About Us:

Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
The British Science Association (BSA) is a charity, founded in 1831. Our vision is of a world where science is at the heart of society and culture. We aim to support, grow and diversify the community of people interested and involved in science; and to strengthen their influence over science's direction and place in society. The Norwich Branch was established in Autumn 2016 and is run entirely by volunteers. Please get in touch if you have ideas for events or would like to be involved!

Tuesday, 28 March 2017

Meet the Committee #4 - Sam Rowe

Hi everyone!

The next person to be featured on the Meet the Committee series is me (Sam Rowe)! I'm Communications Officer at BSA Norwich and can be found chatting about my life and science on Twitter @samfrowe.


Q: What is your role in the committee and what does it involve?

I'm the Communications Officer for BSA Norwich so I help the Secretary and Publicity Officers to advertise our upcoming events and keep everyone informed about our latest volunteering opportunities. I am also in charge of this blog which I created because I thought it'd be a great way to document our events and discuss science in Norwich. :)

I'm really looking forward to planning a variety of events in the local area to make science as accessible and interesting as possible!

Q: What is your current occupation?

I'm a 4th year PhD student at the University of East Anglia - currently spending most of my time at home writing up my thesis (which needs to be submitted by the end of September!). In my research project I'm developing new ways to turn sunlight into useful fuels and chemicals using bacteria. So although I'm based in the School of Chemistry, I get to do a lot of Microbiology and Biochemistry too. :)

I grew up just outside Norwich, went away to Imperial College in London for my MSci degree then came back closer to home for my PhD. It's great to be living in Norwich at the moment because my family and friends are nearby!

Q: What do you like doing in your spare time?

Outside of my PhD I spend my time reading loads of books and learning the piano. I also love going to the cinema (although wish I went a lot more than I currently do) and the lab group I work with are really social so we plan lots of outings to local restaurants and pubs.

Towards the end of my PhD I've been trying to do as much science-related outreach and volunteering as I can. So far I've helped out with events at the Royal Norfolk Show, Norwich Science Festival and I've even been fortunate enough to discuss my research in the Houses of Parliament!

Fun fact: At the age of 13, I got my black belt in Kuk Sool Won (a Korean martial arts).

As always, if you have any thoughts or feedback regarding events, social media activity and blog posts from BSA Norwich then we'd love to hear from you! Also, please get in contact if you'd like to volunteer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment